We regard Mathematics as an essential element of communication, a powerful tool for use in other subjects and in real life contexts and intriguing in its own right.
‘Mathematics for All’
Developing students’ mathematical skills and understanding, reasoning and confidence to help to prepare them for their future lives
In keeping with the national curriculum for Mathematics, we aim to ensure that students
- become fluent in the fundamentals of mathematics, including through varied and frequent practice with increasingly complex problems over time, so that students develop conceptual understanding and the ability to recall and apply knowledge rapidly and accurately,
- reason mathematically by following a line of enquiry, conjecturing relationships and generalisations, and developing an argument, justification or proof using mathematical language
- can solve problems by applying their mathematics to a variety of routine and non-routine problems with increasing sophistication, including breaking down problems into a series of simpler steps and persevering in seeking solutions.
Mathematics is certainly a subject which inspires strong emotions. We see Mathematics as a subject for all. We strive to help each student to grow in confidence, knowledge and skills and to enjoy the challenges and opportunities which the subject provides.
- Challenges which will require quiet reflection, collaboration with peers and mutual support.
- Opportunities for students to enjoy seeking patterns and to learn to work in an increasingly systematic manner
- Challenges which can help to foster listening skills and dialogue, determination and resilience.
- Opportunities to use one’s initiative, to develop one’s powers of visualisation and analysis and to expand one’s imagination
- Challenges to make careful use of vocabulary, notation, diagrams and graphs to convey one’s thought processes clearly and concisely
- Opportunities to develop greater flexibility and precision of thinking and to study concepts in depth.
We are passionate about working with students of any age to develop their understanding and their confidence in their own mathematical abilities.
By building upon students’ prior learning from earlier key stages, we strive to support students in connecting, deepening and advancing their understanding.
We also look to foster an appreciation of the relationships within Mathematics and an awareness of the innate fascination of the subject.
We value students’ thinking and their questions, their strategies and their creativity. We make use of assessment for learning to help to inform our teaching. Regular home learning is set so that students can review, embed and extend their learning, helping them to make valuable links to the next lesson.
We are committed to supporting each individual in our classes and to sharing our love of Mathematics. With high expectations about classroom behaviour, we are ambitious for all our students. We take care to provide a positive learning environment, inclusive of all members of the class and we are aspirational about the progress which each learner can make, looking to support their preparation for the next stage of their education, their future employment and their life.
Key Stage 3 & 4 Mathematics Learning Journey
Level 2 Further Mathematics Learning Journey
A Level Mathematics Learning Journey
A Level Further Mathematics Learning Journey
Core Mathematics Learning Journey