Art & Photography
To inspire and nurture the creative skills needed to help students explore the world around them and think beyond what they already know.
1. Develop a variety of transferable skills which are both verbal and visual.
- Planning/time management
- Evaluation and analysis
2. Develop practical skills using a wide variety of media and means of recording
- 3D design/sculpture
3. Develop knowledge and awareness of a wide range of artists, crafts people, designers and faiths, increasing understanding of a variety of processes, ideas and historical and cultural context.
4. Develop understanding of the Assessment Objectives
All staff will maintain a positive and supportive environment building on mutual respect. They will help students build confidence through celebration of success and positive feedback.
SOW will be carefully structured to gradually build practical, analytical and communication skills. These projects will be structured to allow accessibility to the Art Curriculum for all students and enable them to make good progress. These skills will be frequently revisited across all Key Stages to solidify knowledge.
Art department staff will have the opportunity to adapt the department ‘Curriculum Map’ in writing their own SOW allowing staff to teach to their strengths and explore curriculum enriched opportunities. Projects cover a wide variety of media, artists, cultural and issue based themes.
Creativity of students will be cultivated through a variety of practical tasks, exploring the work of others from a variety of sources. Opportunities for independent studies and personal input will be provided with increasing frequency as students progress through the key stages. Students will be encouraged to explore their personal interests and will be supported by personalised feedback.
Opportunities to share ideas and opinions in constructive ways will help develop essential communication skills, confidence and encourage an open-minded approach. Written analysis, classroom discussions and presentation of work will be embedded in SOW. ‘Word Maps’ and ‘Keywords’ within the classroom, will support and reinforce subject specific language.
Fine Art and Photography A-Level
• Students will have increased confidence and sense of achievement.
• Students will have an increased understanding of aesthetic and visual language.
• Students will have an increased awareness of artistic processes and ideas.
• Students will have an increased ability to work with a wide variety of media with success.
• Students will have an increased ability to record their own ideas both verbally and visually.
• Smooth transition through Key Stages and further education.