Welcome to The Piggott School: Charvil Primary website.
It is a great honour to be the Headteacher and I am humbled and privileged to lead such a wonderful school.
Our School Christian vision and values permeate every aspect of school life. Our Christian vision is taken from The Parable of The Good Samaritan:
‘Jesus told him, Go and do likewise.’ Luke 10:37
As an all-through school, our Christian vision must be comprehensible to all members of our school community from the youngest to the eldest. The learning from The Parable of The Good Samaritan offers the opportunity for the development of wisdom, kindness, respect and reflection to our youngest learners in EYFS through to our Year 13s at Wargrave. Our vision allows us to learn from Jesus, our teacher, reflecting on the messages of the Good Samaritan parable. It helps us to take forward the compassion and charity that we can show to others, and also realise that each of us at some time needs the help of others through no fault of our own. We want our school community to reflect this learning and ‘Go and do likewise’.
Our Christian values of Respect, Honesty, Equality, Dedication, Courage and Love stem from the Fruits of the Spirit; these are exemplified within the parable of the Good Samaritan. These values embody the Fruits of the Spirit to inspire our students to embrace our learning community and explore education for life in all of its fullness. We are dedicated to enlightening a generation to take these values and ‘Go and do likewise.’
The care and guidance provided by the staff at our school creates a culture and ethos, based on our Christian vision and values, which helps every child to develop fully.
Academic challenge and personal enrichment
Our school provides the perfect balance and blend of academic challenge, personal care, development and enrichment that allows for the holistic development of each and every child: the development of the child as an individual; as a whole person. The quality of teaching and learning which occurs at our school enables us to achieve our aim to help our students to develop into the very best they can be.
We help our students by providing a caring environment based on our Christian Vision and Values.
We help them to:
- Enquire and be independent in their thinking;
- Value lifelong learning;
- Be open to new ideas;
- Encourage respect and tolerance.
The staff at The Piggott School passionately advocate the importance of recognising each and every child as an individual; with their own gifts and talents; their own needs, their own aspirations. I believe the care and guidance offered by our truly outstanding staff provides a culture and ethos that successfully helps our students to become whatever they wish to be. To be the best they can be.
When OfSTED last inspected The Piggott School they reported that:
- Pupils make superb progress.
- The school’s work to promote pupils’ personal development and welfare is outstanding.
- The strong relationships between staff and pupils ensure behaviour is typically superb.
- Effectiveness of Leadership and Management: Outstanding.
- Pupils at key stages 3 and 4 make exceptional progress.
- They make accelerated progress, gaining exceptionally strong outcomes in A levels, vocational subjects and technical awards.
- Students have very positive attitudes to learning.
Choosing your child’s school is an extremely important decision. I encourage you to visit the school to see our wonderful learning community in action.
Our Christian Vision and Values are what sets us apart. They define who we are and our relationships with each other. Our mission is to be a school which inspires and encourages the highest achievement for each and every child. Our vision reflects this mission and is evidenced in every aspect of our school.
SIAMS is the Statutory Inspection of Anglican and Methodist Schools and occurs every five years. Inspectors reviewed documentation, conducted learning walks, observed lessons and collective acts of worship, met with parents, governors, staff and pupils over a two day inspection.
The inspectors concluded that “The distinctiveness and effectiveness of The Piggott School as a Church of England school are outstanding”.
- “Relationships between all members of the school community are exceptional.”
- “Achievement is significantly above floor standards … and progress is outstanding.”
- “Christian love (agape) is the cornerstone of the school which leads to a meaningful and effective education for all pupils, particularly for those who are vulnerable. The comprehensive review of the Christian values was an uplifting and transformational experience for all stakeholders, particularly for pupils. The values are lived out by all, and the Christian ethos now lies at the heart of strategic planning.”
- “The effectiveness of the leadership and management of the school as a church school is outstanding.”
- “The school, through its distinctive Christian character, is outstanding at meeting the needs of all learners.”
Mr D J Gray