Head Teacher's Update
Thank you for visiting The Piggott School's website.
Our school provides the perfect balance and blend of academic challenge, personal care, development and enrichment that allows for the holistic development of each and every child: the development of the child as an individual, as a whole person. The quality of teaching and learning which occurs at our school enables us to achieve our aim to help our students to develop into the very best they can be.
Our School Aims permeate every aspect of school life. We help our students by providing a caring environment based on Christian Values. We help them
- To enquire and be independent in their thinking.
- To value lifelong learning.
- To be open to new ideas.
- To encourage respect and tolerance.
My staff passionately advocate the importance of recognising each and every child as an individual; with their own gifts and talents; their own needs, their own aspirations. I believe the care and guidance offered at The Piggott School by our truly outstanding staff provides a culture and ethos that successfully helps our students to become whatever they wish to be. To be the best they can be.
“The distinctiveness and effectiveness of The Piggott School as a Church of England
School are outstanding”. SIAMS 2016
We were last inspected by OfSTED in January 2014, when they said:
- Students' behaviour is excellent and underpins the positive attitudes and desire to do well.
- Teaching is consistently good, with a high proportion of outstanding practice seen in both the primary and secondary settings.
- Students demonstrate exemplary, positive attitudes to their learning.
- Students’ spiritual, moral, social and cultural education is outstanding.
- Strong, mutually respectful relationships underpin all aspects of the school’s work.
- Piggott students make good progress in both the main school and Sixth Form.
- There is an excellent range of additional activities and educational visits.
- Students are well prepared for higher education or employment.
In 2016 our GCSE and Level 2 results were the best in the school’s history with 80% of students achieving 5A*-C including English and maths. 91% passed maths GCSE and 82% English Language. Our Progress 8 score of +0.64 shows that on average every pupil at The Piggott achieves two thirds of a grade higher, in every P8 subject, compared to national rates of progress. This places us in the top 75 schools in the country for value added.
Our A level and Level 3 results were equally impressive, being the highest in Wokingham for A*-B grades. Our value added measure places us 60th in the country for A level progress (including fee paying independent schools)
The Piggott School is not just about examination results. Our extra curricular offer is amazing. Every child in Year 7 has the opportunity to visit France, in Year 8 Germany or Holland. We have ski-trips, trips to the Natural History Museum, Dinton Pastures, Marwell Zoo, The West End and Wycombe Swan, Harry Potter World, Thorpe Park, Hampton Court, the Big Bang Fair, EuroDisney, Italy, New York, Iceland, Kenya. We have Foreign exchanges each year to France, Spain & Germany. We also have a biennial trip to China.
We have sports clubs such as football for boys and for girls, dodgeball, rowing, badminton, cross country, rugby, netball, athletics, table tennis, dance, cricket, trampolining & fitness.
We have competitions, drama productions, music concerts and recitals, choir, instrumental tuition, band club, robot club, Young Engineers, chess club, film club, debating, Dragons Den, Horrible Histories. The list is nigh endless. My staff, teachers and support staff, are exceptionally dedicated professionals who continually strive to make this school the excellent school it is, and I am indebted to them for their commitment, passion and achievements.
Our Christian School Values are:
- Respect – which incorporates tolerance: for others, the environment & self.
- Equality – which incorporates inclusivity, individuality, fairness.
- Honesty – which incorporates Trust & Integrity, Kindness and Goodness.
- Dedication – which incorporates Resilience, a personal motivation and desire to succeed.
- Courage – to make good choices, to do what is right.
- Love – As a Christian community, Love, Agape, is central to our beliefs.
Our Values: Respect, Equality, Honesty, Dedication, Courage and Love; are what make us different. They define who we are and our relationships with each other. Our mission is to be a school which inspires and encourages the highest achievement for each and every child. Our Values reflect this mission and are evidenced in every aspect of our school.
We were inspected by SIAMS in March 2016. SIAMS is the Statutory Inspection of Anglican and Methodist Schools and occurs every five years. Inspectors reviewed documentation, conducted learning walks, observed lessons and collective acts of worship, met with parents, governors, staff and pupils over a two day inspection.
The inspectors concluded that “The distinctiveness and effectiveness of The Piggott School as a Church of England school are outstanding”.
- “Relationships between all members of the school community are exceptional.”
- “Achievement is significantly above floor standards … and progress is outstanding.”
- “Christian love (agape) is the cornerstone of the school which leads to a meaningful and effective education for all pupils, particularly for those who are vulnerable. The comprehensive review of the Christian values was an uplifting and transformational experience for all stakeholders, particularly for pupils. The values are lived out by all, and the Christian ethos now lies at the heart of strategic planning.”
- “The effectiveness of the leadership and management of the school as a church school is outstanding.”
- “The school, through its distinctive Christian character, is outstanding at meeting the needs of all learners.”
Our mission is to be a school which inspires and encourages the highest achievement for each and every child. Our Values reflect this mission and are evidenced in every aspect of our school.
Thank you for viewing our website and I look forward to you welcoming you to The Piggott School.
Derren Gray - Headteacher