Applying for a Place at the Charvil Piggott Primary School
Children are normally admitted to school in the Early Years Foundation Stage 2 (30 places). They will usually only be admitted to the year group normal for their age i.e. to EYFS2 if they have had their fourth birthday in the previous academic year.
Admission forms and guides are available for Pre-school / Foundation and Primary School pupils in the six unitary authorities that make up the geographical county of Berkshire during September.
All applications for The Piggott School or the Charvil Piggott Primary School should be sent in the first instance to Wokingham Borough Council. All applications will then be forwarded to The Piggott School for processing.
For further information, please visit:
Parents of students in "out of county" or independent schools should contact:
Wokingham Borough Council,
P.O. Box 150, Shute End,
Wokingham RG40 1WQ
Telephone: 0118 974 6000
Note: Please ensure that applications have adequate postage on them to make sure that they arrive promptly.
The following map gives a guide to the designated area of the Piggott that is used in its over subscription criteria:
Please note that you can check your eligibility on the Wokingham Borough website -
http://www.wokingham.gov.uk/propertysearch1/ to find your catchment schools.
Support for admission on denominational grounds to The Piggott School requires the completion of a Denominational Certificate.
Admissions Criteria - 2018/19
The Governors are required to admit all pupils with statements of special educational needs that name The Piggott School in their statement. To the extent that the governors are aware of any such pupils to be admitted in 2018/2019 at the time of allocating places to other applicants, the number of places allocated to others will be reduced so that the total number of admissions will not exceed the determined admission number.
In the event of there being a greater demand for admission than there are places available, a child with a statement of special educational need (or Educational Health Care Plan – EHC), which names The Charvil Piggott Primary School will always be admitted. Once places have been offered to these children, the following criteria will be applied in the order set out below:
- A - All looked after children or children who were previously looked after: By a “looked-after child” we mean one in the care of a local authority or being provided with accommodation by a local authority in the exercise of its social services function. An adoption order is one made under the Adoption Act 1976 (Section 12) or the Adoption and Children Act 2002 (Section 46). A ‘child arrangements order is one settling the arrangements to be made as to the person with whom the child is to live (Children Act 1989, Section 8, as amended by the Children and Families Act 2014, Section 14). A ‘special guardianship order’ is one appointing one or more individuals to be a child’s special guardian/s (Children Act 1989, Section 14A). Applications under this criterion must be accompanied by evidence to show that the child is looked after or was previously looked after (e.g. a copy of the adoption, child arrangements or special guardianship order).
- B - Pupils whose permanent home address is in the school’s designated area and who have a sibling living at the same address who already attends the school (in any Key Stage, i.e. EYFS2 (Reception year) – KS5) by the deadline for applications. (For the definition of sibling see below)
- C - The children of staff at The Piggott School where that member of staff is the legal parent and guardian of that child, has a permanent contract to work at the school and where that member of staff has been employed at the school for 2 or more years at the time of application for the place or the member of staff is recruited to fill a vacant post within a demonstrable skill shortage.
- D - Pupils whose permanent home address is in the school’s designated area but who do not fall into criterion B
- E - Pupils whose permanent home address is not in the school’s designated area but who would otherwise fall into criterion B
- F - (Secondary admissions only) Pupils who attend one of the linked primary schools, who have not been admitted in an earlier criteria namely The Colleton, Crazies Hill CE, Knowl Hill CE, St Nicholas CE and Sonning CE (Aided) primary schools and Polehampton CE and Robert Piggott CE junior schools
- G - Pupils whose parents have chosen the school on denominational grounds; an application will only be considered under this criterion if it is accompanied by a fully completed copy of the school’s denominational certificate; for a pupil to meet this criterion a parent must have frequently attended for worship at a church within the Christian faith that is a member of the Churches Together in Britain and Ireland or The Evangelical Alliance over the year immediately preceding the date of application (frequent in this context means at least twice a month for at least eight months a year); and
- H - All other pupils.
Consultation on Admissions Arrangements for 2020/21
Consultation period: Monday 15th October to Monday 10th December
It is a statutory requirement for all state funded schools to consult on their Admissions Arrangements every 7 years. In line with this requirement, The Piggott School is consulting on its Admissions Arrangements for 2020/2021. The proposed changes are as follows:
- The removal of denominational grounds (category G) from admissions criteria. This change is proposed in line with advice from the Oxford Diocesan Board of Education to remove faith based criteria from admissions arrangements.
We are required to consult parents and any interested parties and offer the opportunity to comment on the amendments. Any comments on the proposed change should be sent to the Admissions Officer via email@example.com by Monday 10th December.
Useful Links From the Wokingham Authority Website
- Care and support for children and families: www.wokingham.gov.uk/families
- Services directory: www.wokingham.gov.uk/services-directory
- The Wokingham Borough’s Local Offer: www.wokingham.gov.uk/lo
- Watch our guide to the online Local Offer: https://youtu.be/Hv_QNrtMQWk
For questions relating to admissions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org