Head Teacher's Introduction
Thank you for visiting The Piggott School's website.
Our school provides the perfect balance and blend of academic challenge, personal care, development and enrichment that allows for the holistic development of each and every child: the development of the child as an individual, as a whole person. The quality of teaching and learning which occurs at our school enables us to achieve our aim to help our students to develop into the very best they can be.
Our School Aims permeate every aspect of school life. We help our students by providing a caring environment based on Christian Values. We help them
- To enquire and be independent in their thinking.
- To value lifelong learning.
- To be open to new ideas.
- To encourage respect and tolerance.
My staff passionately advocate the importance of recognising each and every child as an individual; with their own gifts and talents; their own needs, their own aspirations. I believe the care and guidance offered at The Piggott School by our truly outstanding staff provides a culture and ethos that successfully helps our students to become whatever they wish to be. To be the best they can be.
“The distinctiveness and effectiveness of The Piggott School as a Church of England School are outstanding”. SIAMS
We were last inspected by OfSTED in 2017, when they said:
- Pupils make superb progress.
- The school’s work to promote pupils’ personal development and welfare is outstanding.
- The strong relationships between staff and pupils ensure behaviour is typically superb.
- Effectiveness of Leadership and Management: Outstanding.
- Pupils at key stages 3 and 4 make exceptional progress.
- They make accelerated progress, gaining exceptionally strong outcomes in A levels, vocational subjects and technical awards.
- Students have very positive attitudes to learning.
- Spiritual, moral, social and cultural development is excellent at this school.
In 2019 90% of our pupils passed English and 90% passed mathematics GCSE at the new Level 4 or above (a level 4 is equivalent to an old C grade). Our combined best English and mathematics Level 4+ pass rate was 86%. Our %5A*-C/ Level 4+ including best English and mathematics was 85%.
Amazing results were achieved across a range of subjects with GCSE Level 4+ pass rates of 100% in History, Dance, DIDA and Chinese, 99% in Art, 98% in Biology and Physics, 97% in Computer Science, 96% in Chemistry, 95% in Media Studies, 94% in French and 90% in Food Technology.
Drama achieved 87% L4+, Combined Science 86%, Business Studies 85%, Music 83%, RE 83%, Sports Studies 82%, and Geography 82%.
Our Progress 8 (P8) score, using the latest available data (FFT), is estimated to be +0.91. This meant on average, every child, in every P8 subject, achieved nearly one grade higher at The Piggott School than at an average school. Our confirmed P8 score will be released to us in late September by the DfE.
Our A level and Level 3 results were equally impressive, being the highest in Wokingham for A*-B and A*-C grades.
Our extra curricular offer is amazing. Every child has opportunities to visit France, Germany or Holland. We have ski-trips, visits to the Natural History Museum, Dinton Pastures, Marwell Zoo, The West End and Wycombe Swan, Harry Potter World, Thorpe Park, Hampton Court, the Big Bang Fair, EuroDisney, Italy, New York and Iceland. We have Foreign exchanges each year to France, Spain & Germany. We also have a biennial exchange programme to China.
We have sports clubs such as football for boys and for girls, dodgeball, rowing, badminton, cross country, rugby, netball, athletics, table tennis, dance, cricket, trampolining & fitness.
We have competitions, drama productions, music concerts and recitals, choir, instrumental tuition, band club, robot club, Young Engineers, chess club, film club, debating, Dragons Den, Horrible Histories. My staff, teachers and support staff, are exceptionally dedicated professionals who continually strive to make this the excellent school it is, and I am indebted to them for their commitment, passion and achievements.
Our Christian School Values are:
- Respect – which incorporates tolerance: for others, the environment & self.
- Equality – which incorporates inclusivity, individuality, fairness.
- Honesty – which incorporates Trust & Integrity, Kindness and Goodness.
- Dedication – which incorporates Resilience, a personal motivation and desire to succeed.
- Courage – to make good choices, to do what is right.
- Love – As a Christian community, Love, Agape, is central to our beliefs.
Our Values of Respect, Equality, Honesty, Dedication, Courage and Love; are what make us different. They define who we are and our relationships with each other. Our mission is to be a school which inspires and encourages the highest achievement for each and every child. Our Values reflect this mission and are evidenced in every aspect of our school.
SIAMS is the Statutory Inspection of Anglican and Methodist Schools and occurs every five years. Inspectors reviewed documentation, conducted learning walks, observed lessons and collective acts of worship, met with parents, governors, staff and pupils over a two day inspection.
The inspectors concluded that “The distinctiveness and effectiveness of The Piggott School as a Church of England school are outstanding”.
- “Relationships between all members of the school community are exceptional.”
- “Achievement is significantly above floor standards … and progress is outstanding.”
- “Christian love (agape) is the cornerstone of the school which leads to a meaningful and effective education for all pupils, particularly for those who are vulnerable. The comprehensive review of the Christian values was an uplifting and transformational experience for all stakeholders, particularly for pupils. The values are lived out by all, and the Christian ethos now lies at the heart of strategic planning.”
- “The effectiveness of the leadership and management of the school as a church school is outstanding.”
- “The school, through its distinctive Christian character, is outstanding at meeting the needs of all learners.”
Our mission is to be a school which inspires and encourages the highest achievement for each and every child. Our Values reflect this mission and are evidenced in every aspect of our school.
Thank you for viewing our website and I look forward to you welcoming you to The Piggott School.